Friday, April 4, 2008

CHOP




ok. so this week has been CHOP week which stands for Constant House Of Prayer. I am involved in an organization called Foundation. Basically I am a counselor for a christain fish camp for next year. We do a lot of fundraising and planning for this next year's camp and one of those things is CHOP. What it is: there is a room that is open 24-7 from sunday to sunday this week and there has to be two Foundation staff members there at all times. It is open, however, to the entire campus. SO each staff member has 6 shifts for the entire week, each being one hour, as a minimum. I go a lot more than my 6 hour shifts. It is the coolest thing. The entire room is covered in paper and there are markers and supplies everywhere for people to write and craft whatever they please. There are notebooks for you to write in, music playing, candles, an alter, pillows incase one wants to just sleep there for the night, bible everywhere, ect. Its incredible. I love it because I have to be there so it forces me to spend time with God. This morning my shift was at 6 and it was-FANTASTIC. I got up and needed something to drink desperatly, but since it was 5 20 in the morning, nothing was open. So i took my roomate's car and ran through arby's to get a large dr. pepper (and since im fasting from food, that was more than apporpriate) and went on to the room that is in the babsement of the beloved Wesley building. I prayed, journaled, sang (loud), and then I did my new favorite thing: I read the Psalms outloud. I LOVE that! It is so powerful to me. I read from 54 skipping around a bit to about 77. My favoite right now is 63. Its so so great. I then put Leeland on, and of course I am obsessed with Leeland, and I went around reading the walls, writing on the walls, and of course: taking pictures of the walls. These pictures are of the things that others put up on the walls, and thing that I put up. So, I am going to post a few things that I saw on the walls that spoke to me, and some prayers of my own. I will indicate accordingly which ones are my own and which are not. Here we go!


Our world is desperately in need of imagination.
For we have spent so much creativity
devising ways of destroying our enemies
that some people dont even think its possible
much less practicle to love them.
We have placed such idolatrous faith
in our ability to protect ourselves
that we call it more courageous
to die killing
rather than to die loving.
The faith we have in the market
and in the imagination
we employ to acquire wealth
has so far surpassed our ingenuity to share
that we cannot help but wonder
if the contemporary Gospel remains
good news to the poor
whose bellies scream out to God.
We so worry about our own protection,
our own security,
our own wealth,
our own future
that we forget that we are already protected.
Already secure.
Already wealthy.
And we already have a great future
in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Whatever that future may be.
Cease your worrying
about what you will do
or what will become of you.
Have faith in you Lord
and cry out to the nations
cry out to those crying out
in eternal torment.
Be their comfort,
Give up and let Christ show himeself
IN YOU.
It is what we are called to do.
Respond to your Lord.

^not mine.


2 comments:

Popcorn said...

I am so happy you had the CHOP experience this week. Nothing causes me to grow in Christ as much as just immersing myself in prayer and His word. Your early a.m. shift today sounds awesome and like a huge blessing that you'll never forget. : ) xxoo mom alias popcorn

Popcorn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.